CURRENT SERIES: NEW BEGINNINGS
DAY 3: A NEW BEGINNING… WITH NEW GOALS
By Benescke Janse van Rensburg
A well known quote reads: “A person who fails to plan, plans to fail.” Without clear goals, we become like a person getting into his or her car and driving without a destination. No matter how fancy the car might be and how fast the car can go, without a destination, the car’s tank will soon be empty and the person would still not have reached any destination.
Think about where you want to be in a year’s time. Do you want to have a better job? Do you want to lose weight? Go overseas? Have better relationships with your family or work colleagues? Go on, think for a moment. Where do you want to be?
Do you realize that the way you act today and every day this year, will determine how close or far you will be from your goals by the beginning of next year? Here are two tips to get you started to set goals for 2012:
TIP 1: ASK GOD FOR WISDOM
In Proverbs 16:9 we read: “A man’s heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.” Before you write down your goals, ask the Holy Spirit to lead you. Ask God to show you what He specifically plans for you for 2012.
TIP 2: BE SPECIFIC
Set yourself goals for the year, but break them down into goals for each month and even each week. Smaller goals makes it easier to accomplish bigger goals. Here are seven categories to start with:
- Work (What do you want to achieve at work this year?);
- Social (Who do you need to visit more? Are there any of your friends that you need to pray for more?)
- Financial (Decide what amount of your income you will pay towards tithes, savings or giving to the poor);
- Relationship with God (Decide which time of the day you will make time to spend with God – for instance a half an hour before work or during lunch?);
- Family (Decide to pray for your family and make an effort to contact them or go and visit them more often);
- Health (Decide to eat healthier and exercise more);
- Dreams (Decide to tick off at least one item on your “bucket list”!)
Remember, you might not lose 10kg in the first week, run a 10km race in the first month or manage to not get irritated with “that” colleague in your office. But, with discipline, small sacrifices and much prayer, you will find it becomes easier to say “no” to sweets, you will start jogging without a cramp and maybe even discover a special friendship with that former rude colleague. Take the first step today and who knows, maybe 2012 will be your best year so far! God bless.
Father God, thank you that I can ask you to lead me through your Holy Spirit to set goals for this year. Also, give me the strength to not give up half way through, but continue to achieve that goals. I ask this in the Name of Jesus Christus. Amen.
** Benescke Janse van Rensburg is a freelance journalist and author of the books, Ontdek God in die stories van mense and also Wysheid, oordenkings uit Spreuke.